A woman poisons herself by making sculpture that involving grinding mussel shells. Mussel shells concentrate heavy metals-- in her case, I don't know how much was from pollution and how much was just sea water.
There's a lot to be said about possibly overvaluing art and certainly being wrong that everything natural is safe.... not that grinding mussel shells with inadequate ventilation is exactly natural behavior.
If you have a bunch of weird symptoms, get your blood tested sooner rather than later if at all possible.
More discussion: https://www.metafilter.com/177989/My-Beautiful-Death#7576978
The metafilter discussion includes that safety isn't taught in art school-- I think this implies that art schools aren't using safety precautions.
Artist Beware, Updated and Revised: The Hazards in Working with All Art and Craft Materials and the Precautions Every Artist and Craftsperson Should Take
Some really cursory research suggests that eating mussels now and then isn't considered dangerous, for what that's worth.
This entry was posted at https://nancylebov.dreamwidth.org/1099899.html. Comments are welcome here or there. comments so far on that entry.